May 9, 2012

Happy Nurses Week



Happy Nurses Week!

Confession: The Pearl Harbor movie may have been a bit lot of inspiration for my nursing career. Seriously.


You know you're a nurse if:
  • You believe experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
  • You can only tell time with a 24-hour clock.  
  • You've ever thought, 'Patients, God love 'em, because today, I sure don't!'
  • You believe old nurses never die, they just go PRN.
  • You think it is acceptable to use "penis" and "vagina" in a normal conversation.
  • You believe any job where you can drive to work in pajamas is a cool job.
  • The ER is a mixture of can do, can't do, and why the heck not!
  •  You've developed a crease between your brows from trying NOT to inhale the various human secretions you've encountered over the years.
  • Your bladder can expand to the same size as a Winnebago's water tank.
  • You avoid unhealthy looking COPDers in the mall for fear that they'll drop near you and you'll have to do CPR on your day off.
  • You automatically multiply by three the number of drinks a patient claims to have daily.
  • Your idea of a meal break is finishing your coffee before it gets cold.
  • You think "awake and stupid" is an appropriate choice for mental status.
  • Discussing dismemberment over a meal seems perfectly normal.
  • You believe unspeakable evils will befall you if the word 'quiet' is uttered.
  • You have to leave the patient before you begin to laugh uncontrollably.
  • You believe chocolate is a food group.
  • You've ever had a patient look you dead in the eye and say, "I don't know how that got stuck in there." 
  • You want to throttle anyone that states: Night shift must be so boring, all the patients do is sleep.

I'm proud to call myself a Registered Nurse and treasure the life-impacting moments I get to be a part of. Nursing challenges me every day to view others as God views them and to share his love doing so.

Thank you Nurses for all of your hard, selfless work. YOU are amazing!

sorry for the crudeness...  but true for most RNs
In honor of Nurse Appreciation Week, I want to recognize some of the nurses who have inspired me, taught me, mentored me, encouraged me, and supported me.
  • Dr. Mindy S.- Thank you for mentoring, teaching & believing in me. You've inspired me more than you know.
  • Janee- I couldn't have survived without you. Thanks for being the example of the thorough, compassionate & kind nurse I want to be.
  • McKenzie V.- You are the most thorough, compassionate, organized, & thoughtful nurse I know. Thank you for training me and constantly motivating me to be better.
  • Catherine- You are downright amazing. You work SO hard and literally save lives every day. I wish I could be more like you :) Thankful for post shift work-out times to vent/debrief with you! 
  • Madigan RNs- Thank you for always encouraging me & teaching me.
  • Madigan Lt's and Major W.- (you know who you are)- You motivate me to be the best I can be, to continue learning, & to do my best. Thanks for letting me work alongside you as a member of the team.
  • To my PLU classmates- You worked hard, You are impacting lives, You made it, You are Incredible! 
  • Dr. Sylvia W.- You helped peek my interest to be a mom/baby/OB nurse & helped me follow those dreams. Thank you.
  • To all of my current work co-RNs: YOU are fantastic, competent, compassionate, hard working, & I'm grateful to work alongside you. 
Thank you, Nurses for:
 you hard work
your long hours
your extreme patience for difficult patients & families
 putting others before yourself
 constantly learning & applying new things
& for going above and beyond. 
You make a difference! 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the kind words :) I am so glad we are friends!

    I do wish I could look like Evelyn when I go to work each day ;)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love!