April 3, 2013

Wildlife Refuge & Roasted Sweet Potato-Veggie Couscous


 I found a new little piece of tranquil paradise- Oaks Bottom Wildlife Refuge. I pulled up a map of the Portland area and looked for parks I had not yet been to. Then I see this ginormous wildlife refuge with bike paths & walking paths galore. Amazing! I drove over to check it out and was seriously in heaven. It helped to have warm, sunny weather. The air felt fresher, the birds chirped all around. I ran into a group of 4 deer within 5 minutes of walking. A woodpecker was knocking away, and a snake slithered across the path 2 feet ahead of me. I felt one with nature and can't wait to take Andrew back with me next time. I'm wondering how I never knew about this place...

On another note, I'd like to share one of our favorite meals with you:
Roasted Sweet Potato-veggie CousCous
 We probably eat roasted sweet potatoes and veggies 3 times/week. Sometimes just plain. But, throwing some cous cous in there adds a nice texture and taste.

I meant to add turkey bacon in the mix but was out- but I recommend throwing some turkey bacon or regular bacon in to make your man extra happy! 

____________

Roasted Sweet Potato-Veggie Couscous

2 sweet potatoes
2 heads broccoli
Other vegetables (Brussels Sprouts and/or Kale)
1 cup couscous
Olive Oil
Garlic Salt
Herbs Provence/Sage or both

Preheat oven to 425. Cut sweet potatoes into small cubes or triangles & spread onto baking pan. Drizzle olive oil over potatoes and stir/spread oil to get a little coverage on each piece.
Season with garlic salt, Herbs provence, sage, or another herb of your choosing. Place in preheated oven.

Do the same to the Brocoli in a separate baking pan but use much less olive oil. Just a little drizzle will do & no need to spread around (we normally throw Brussels sprouts in with the broccoli). Place in preheated oven with sweet potatoes.

Cook Couscous as directed on bag/box. 

Roast for 20-25 minutes or until brownish. We cook the sweet potatoes and broccoli in separate pans because the broccoli tends to cook faster. Keep checking on the broc until slightly brownish. 

Throw some turkey bacon in there and enjoy a healthy, delicious meal!

**To make it gluten free, use quinoa or rice**
 ____________

1 comment:

  1. I need to try this recipe. And what a beautiful park!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love!